4.13.2009

Jedediah Caesar: Holding Station @ Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects


pics:tryharder

Jedediah Caesar: Holding Station
April 11 - May 23, 2009
Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects

***
Video on Jedediah Caesar HERE from 2008 Whitney Biennial
***
Did I time travel back to the D? This work felt very Detroit-like (or at least circa early-mid 00's) - you know the found-object-dirty-resin-beautiful-ugly type. Mix a little Hocking/Snider/Newton/Rousseaux, just to name a few. I have a hard time digesting and accurately, without personal judgement, assessing this style of art since leaving. It's like how I also can't compute the ghetto here - it's got palm trees, no missing houses, malls, supermarkets...?!?
Nice gallery space...can I live in the vestibule containing the fountain?

4 comments:

DAAAAAAAANG said...

these are pretty cool. there's a grad student at Art Center who does the cleaner, shinier versions of these. not sure which are better, but worth checking out this weekend at their Open Studios party.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/middle_class/OPEN-STUDIOS.jpg

there ya go! hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

please, pretty cool. seriously? busted ass found garbage aesthetic has got to go. Give me the shittiest work by the worst arte povera artist anyday.

Joe said...

what does arte povera have to do with anything?

I like this guy's work. The process isn't interesting enough to me. I don't feel these are strong works on their own, or maybe it's the underlit undertall ugly gallery space.

Anonymous said...

weak